Search Every Day Life

Sunday 22 January 2023

Hemel Hempstead: Car Crash



In my late teens, I can recall crowding obliviously into a mini with about 7 other people and being driven by a drunk work colleague/friend from a disco in Kings Langley, back to my home in Hemel Hempstead. 

Paul, the driver, went around sets of bollards the wrong way, drove fast, and irresponsibly. As I was in the back, and being squashed by lots of flesh, there was not a lot I could do to get him to stop. 

Anyway, after driving recklessly he dropped most people off, and then myself. 

He then carried on through Hemel Hempstead town centre, hit the brick wall in the central reservation, and put himself and another work colleague/friend in hospital for several weeks. 

Lucky for the driver and other passengers no one was killed. 

I didn't find out about the accident until a few days afterwards when I went to work. I had a lucky escape. 


English Editor said, 

In my youthful days, I recollect an incident where I found myself, regrettably oblivious, crammed inside a compact vehicle with approximately seven companions. The driver, Paul, who happened to be both a work colleague and a friend, was under the influence of alcohol as he spiritedly chauffeured us from a discotheque in Kings Langley to my abode in Hemel Hempstead.


Paul, in his intoxicated state, brazenly navigated through bollard sets in the opposite direction, propelled the vehicle with unwarranted speed, and exhibited a marked lack of responsibility. Unfortunately, being confined to the backseat and surrounded by a multitude of bodies, I found myself incapacitated to intervene and implore him to desist from his perilous course.


Subsequently, after his reckless escapade, he dropped off the majority of the passengers, including myself. Continuing his ill-advised journey, he proceeded through the heart of Hemel Hempstead town center, colliding with a brick wall that formed the central reservation. This grievous collision resulted in both Paul and another work colleague/friend being hospitalized for an extended duration of several weeks.


Fortuitously, no lives were lost among the driver and his fellow passengers. It was not until several days later, upon my arrival at work, that I learned of the unfortunate accident. I can only count myself fortunate to have escaped unscathed from this harrowing ordeal.






No comments:

Post a Comment